Thursday, November 11, 2010

Maybe it's really...



...the "etc's" in life that I enjoy the most.  The little tidbits of shared thoughts and emotions that are never planned, but are always enjoyed.


...it's not unusual...


...to talk with all my girls in the same day.  It is always one of the highlights of  my day to get a call from them and hear about the every-day-ness of their lives.  Most would find our conversations bland and not see a lot of difference in our phone calls from day to day, but I love knowing that they know I love knowing (did you follow that) about their laundry, shopping, room-mothering, visit teaching, child feeding, child sleeping (or not), etc., etc., etc....


...but what is unusual is having lengthy "nothing much" conversations with both my boys in the same day.







They are busy...


...and that's why Tuesday was a great day.


...it started with Michael.  I called him to invite him for dinner, since Erin's visiting her family in KS(love KS).  Just a simple invitation, right?  But it turned into a heart-to-heart, 53 minutes (yes, I noticed the time on my phone) conversation.  We talked about his work projects, 5 million and losing 5 million, the FBI, Amelia's fever, car fixes, etc., etc., etc.


...and during that conversation, Andy beeped in.


...so after finishing the "etc's" with Mike, I called Andy back.  We talked for 48 minutes (really, I did, I noticed the time again) (yes, Andy, I talked to Michael longer than you) about the ICU, deer hunting, Tom Hanks making fire in Castaway, Porter's parent-teacher conference, Andy's 1st grade teacher, etc., etc., etc.


As I drifted off to sleep last night, I had to smile.  I don't know how or why, but I had 2 of the best conversations with 2 of my most favorite people in the same night.  From car parts to human hearts, we covered a lot of territory. 


...and spent a little time together reminiscing, laughing, sharing...


....just by discussing the "etc's".

3 comments:

danilawson said...

There is a special bond between a mother and her boys. I see it when I look at Cameron and Logan, when Leeann looks at Jake and when you see Mike walk in the door or Andy’s name on the caller id. Even with my young children there is such a difference between my conversations with Samantha and Cameron. Samantha is always needing something done where as Cameron is just fine with the 'etc' in his life, his train, his blanket, etc, etc. Just like us girls, always talking to you needing help with something and you so willingly do it, but your boys just being so content with the etc’s in life that all they need is for their mom to just listen.

Shay said...

That is so sweet. I miss you so much.

Erin said...

Wow it has been way too long since I have looked at any blogs!! I love that you got to talk to both of your boys in one night, such a special thing. And I know what an incredibly big deal it is to have a conversation with Mike on the phone for 53 minutes. Thank-you for always making time for him and us when we need you. love you!!