Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Saw Tink!!!!!!",,,

...was yesterday's text from Aubrey.


And I immediately could see it, the giggling, ear-to-ear grinning and total boundless joy when Abbie saw Tinkerbell and got to give her a hug. I imagine nothing could be more joyful and childlike than Abbie with a sprinkle of fairy dust.  Can't you just see it....magic!!!


Tinkerbell was always my favorite too. The little sprite with a big attitude that looks cute in green and can fly where ever she wants to go.










 ...and speaking of her...










... Abigail, that is, not Tinkerbell.




How perfect it is that Abbie is visiting the happiest place in the world after having the happiest week of her whole 8 year old life.  Superbowl doesn't come close.




Her dad came home from Afghanistan on Saturday and exactly one week later, he baptized her.  It was fantastic and I was honored Abbie asked me to speak on the Holy Ghost.




First of all, let me say how proud I am of Abbie, that she chose to become a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day Saints.  She came up out of the water in the baptismal font and did what Abbie does best...




...giggled.




...and then everybody else smiled and laughed too, because everyone in the room knows that is our Abbie.




...then I spoke about being 8 years old, living in Kansas and roaming the wheat fields and shelter belts, digging in the dirt, skinning my shins on trees to see eggs in nests and shadowing my older brother, because he was the best brother ever.




I told Abbie that I would sometimes get so involved with the next great adventure that I would forget to go in at supper time and then my mother would have to blow a whistle to remind me that I was not allowed to be late for a meal.




Occasionally my mother would blow the whistle to have me do chores, bring in the laundry from the clothesline, hoe the garden, water the garden, or pick beans from the garden.




Sometimes she would blow the whistle to let me know it was getting dark, or a storm was coming and she would be worried. Very often my mom would whistle me home just to say that she missed me and then we would share a piece of chocolate pie.






I learned from my brother to listen for the whistle. I always knew to not get so far from home that I couldn't hear it and that I would get a "talkin-to" if I didn't obey.  I did everything in my power to avoid a talkin-to.




Like the whistle, the Holy Ghost can protect us from storms that we can't always see approaching, reminds us of things we need to do, and helps us stay close to the ones who love us.




I never regretted listening to and obeying the whistle and I have never regretted listening to the Holy Ghost.




I watched Abbie's face during my talk and I could see in her eyes that she already understands the Holy Ghost is there to guide her. Her parents have taught her about the Holy Ghost, just like my brother and mother taught me to listen to the whistle.




What comfort it gives all of us who love Abbie, to know that she will listen and obey.












(hair courtesy of D's Style)




Congratulations to the newest member of the church in our family.




I love you Abbie.




Now go give Minnie Mouse a hug for me.

1 comment:

danilawson said...

I will forever and always love Abbie because of how much Samantha loves her. I don’t think Abbie will ever understand what an example she is to my daughter, and I couldn’t think of a better girl for Samantha to adore and look up to than MS. Abigail Tyler. Samantha will get earrings when she is 8 years old just like Abbie, Samantha will get baptized just like Abbie, and Samantha will play soccer just like Abbie. Yes, Abbie you are loved and talked about so much in the Lawson home.

PS mom your talk was fantastic, I love hearing you talk and look forward to the day that you can talk at my children’s baptism on the Holy Ghost and share your testimony with them .