Saturday, July 11, 2009

Favorite people's favorite things

It happened again, all the Bush-Coil girls gathered together and shared their favorite things. I had debated for months about when to do it, because I knew it wouldn't be the same with Shay gone. I'm so glad now that we waited as long as we did, because the theme was "No Empty Chairs". Not that we had a theme going into this, but before it was over, it seemed obvious that we love each other so much that we will do anything to prevent even one empty chair in heaven. It started with Lauren giving each of us a DELICIOUS yummicake cupcake. But that wasn't her main gift, she actually created a beautiful wall hanging for each of us with the quote from President Benson and a picture of the Salt Lake Temple. Of course, as Lauren read the poem and talked about what it means to her, we were all crying. At least I think everyone was crying, because I couldn't hear a lot over my own tears. The AWESOME part was that Aubrey's favorite thing is a vinyl wall lettering that says, "NO EMPTY CHAIRS". Totally a coincidence, but not really, since Aubrey and Lauren love our family so much.

June was a rough month. Matthew was sick, I mean REALLY sick. I even called his parents, which we don't normally do until whatever bad thing has happened is over and we are all better. I was emotionally a mess going into the Favorite Things Event, and though it made me cry, I came out of it even more grateful for my 5 daughters and their loving attention to one another.

Erin gave each of us a beautiful binder with her favorite talks in it about being a daughter of God. In the front was a letter she wrote to us listing each of our qualities she admires. Erin, the one we all want to be like, is telling us what she thinks is so amazing about us.

Danielle gave everyone a hand sewn cosmetic bag that she had filled with her favorite things. Hello, of course, it had Carmex in it. (If I had a dollar for every tube of Carmex that went through the laundry when D. was in high school, I could buy the company and make it myself).

Shay made me feel so good when she talked about coming home and how our house always smells so good and she wants her home to be like our home. She said there is always a safe, happy spirit in our home that she and Andy are trying to create for their children. She gave each of us a scented plug in from Bath and Body Works. The girls were thrilled. That's something we all love but rarely buy for ourselves.

I was excited to give everyone my favorite things, pictures of my favorite things, each of our kids and grandkids. I created a 2008 Coil Family Yearbook. It has 28 pages of just us and the fun memories of 2008.



NO EMPTY CHAIRS

"Make it a family objective to
all be together in the Celestial
Kingdom. Strive to make your home
a little bit of heaven on earth
so that after this life is over,
you may be able to say:

WE ARE HERE!
FATHER, MOTHER,
SISTERS, BROTHERS-

All who hold each other dear.
Each chair is filled-
We're all at home...
We're all, all here."

President Ezra Taft Benson























I'm sure you noticed, there are a lot of pictures of good, because there was a lot of food. Danielle was kind enough to host at her house again, which is so much easier with little babies. We had Iggy's, since that is one of my new favorite places to eat. For dessert, we had Lala's cupcakes, chocolate and carmel dipped pretzels, Lion House Chocolate Cream cake, 3 different kinds of cheesecake and Italian raspberry cream sodas for the drink.

We laughed, we cried, we talked, we listened, we shared, we loved. It doesn't get any better than being sharing favorite things with my favorite people. Thanks each of you for making life beautiful.

2 comments:

Emily said...

That sounds simply wonderful. I may just steal that idea. What a good way to fill your spiritual bucket. I just love your family! Also, I hope Mathew is doing well. Please let me know how I can help. Love you guys!

Ash said...

What a great idea! You are such a great mom and grandma, I love keeping up with you by looking at your blog!