Thursday, December 31, 2009

The phrase, "JOY AND REJOICING",...



...in my posterity keeps going through my mind.





It started Monday night when I called and talked to Erin. I don't remember why I called, but I will always remember how I felt when I hung up.





Back in August, when I was thinking I shouldn't teach seminary again, because Aubrey would need me while Chris was gone, I heard the Spirit tell me exactly what He thought of me finding an excuse to not teach another year.





I was sitting in Sacrament meeting and in the middle of the Sacrament prayer, the Spirit, in a very loud and distinct voice spoke. There was nothing quiet about the message, I think He knew who He was talking to. I was told, "I love Aubrey and her children with perfect love. I know their needs better than you. If you do as you have covenanted, I will meet their needs and take care of them."




That pretty much ended the internal discussion I had been having. Somewhere between wanting to do what I knew was right and wanting it to be all right to not do what I should, the answer came very clearly.




That afternoon I met with the Stake President and told him of my experience and that I would be happy to stay in my calling as an early morning seminary teacher. I knew it would still be hard. I would have to spend hours at night preparing a lesson and leave my warm bed VERY early to arrive on time. I knew there would be worries about the students and about my own ability to teach His most valiant children as He would have me do. But I knew somehow it would be OK and we would all be blessed.



...so when I called Erin's house Monday, I heard lots of laughter and love going on in the background. I asked what the party was all about? Erin replied that she and Mike had invited Aubrey and the family down for Family Home Evening.




...and then there was Christmas Eve. Lauren and Caleb had come for the day and at one point, Lauren was gone and Caleb asked if he could borrow my car. He said he would be gone for several hours. He took off without telling anyone where he was headed. It was several hours later when Aubrey called and said Caleb had shown up at their house and was playing games with the kids.




That's when the phrase, "Joy and Rejoicing", started ringing in my heart. I knew this was a blessing fulfilled through my children and their love for each other.



If I had chosen to not teach seminary would Aubrey still have been blessed? Absolutely! Aubrey and Chris are righteous parents and their family is loved by God. But, perhaps, in doing what I was asked to do, there is greater joy for our entire family. Perhaps Aubrey's siblings are finding greater joy in serving her and in loving her. I don't know a lot, but this I know, Aubrey, Chris, Preston, Madison, Abigail and our little Lukee are doing great. Thanks to all those in their lives who care about them.








...............











As Nephi of old said, "I will go and do the things which the Lords hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the things which he commandeth them."








Thank you Mike and Erin, Danielle and Jake, Caleb and Lauren, Andy and Shay and thanks to God for the blessings we receive.

6 comments:

Erin said...

I love hearing your story of how you decided to teach seminary this year. Michael said you should send it to the Ensign.

My little family has been so blessed since we moved up North to live so close to Aubrey and the kids. I love being around them! I just adore the energy they bring with them wherever they go. Aubrey is an amazing mom, just like her mom and I look up to you both.

D said...

I love the blessing dad gave Chris at the Halloween party,in it he said, that not only will Chris and his family be blessed for the service he is doing, but he too will be blessed for the service of his family. That has been confirmed over and over again these past few months.

Thank you for sharing the story with us mom and for showing us what the Gospel in our life can do for us if we so strive to do what is right, even if it’s getting up at five in the morning to be to seminary on time or going to a Young Mens activity during the week or planning a primary lesson. The service we are doing IS blessing Aubrey and Chris and their four children. What a wonderful gift we have been given from our Father in Heaven to be able to serve, and then to know that we will be blessed and those that we serve will be blessed in return.

The Perks of Life! said...

Mom we are all blessed because of your service. Thanks for the post. Caleb is such a good uncle and will be an even greater dad. He doesn't ever complain about the kiddos, just loves them and wants to always be playing with them. I learn so much from his example. I saw your comment on CJane's blog. You're too funny. I am almost in tears tonight thinking about the next four months and how crazy they are going to be. But at least I have a mother who will be doing the same thing as me. It's so comforting to know I can vent to you and you understand. Wish us luck! Love you. Thank you for the much needed fun night last night.

Ash said...

Wow! I had chills the whole time I was reading your post. Thanks for sharing your experience and the blessing it will now be in my life by bringing the spirit and the desire to serve more in my life.

Chris and Aubrey said...

Thank you Mom for your service. I so love the sacrifice you are making for me. Everyone has been awesome since we found out Chris was going. I feel blessed and am blessed. I love you all and your testimonies are a strength to me. God will be with us and is with us. I love you all.

Melissa said...

Your family is an inspiration in so many ways--I thought I should drop a note to say Hi. I also wanted to let you know I saw Dannielle (SP?) at Dr. Spencer's office yesterday! She looked beautiful and happy! I did not dare say Hi, I am sure she would have been confused, but...