Monday, August 30, 2010

Being there...

...matters.

I know I have shared this on our blog before, the story, the experience, has had a lasting impact on me and changed me for the better.

...and so, this is my experience about "Being There"...

It really matters and it really makes a difference. This video reminded me of an experience I had years ago with Lauren.

It was her habit to come home from school, crawl up on a stool at the counter while I was preparing dinner and tell me about her day. One day stands out more than others, because it was one of those "ouch" moments that parents experience when they realize they are not really being there in the moment.

I was busy doing whatever it is that I do when making dinner, when Lauren told me about something funny that happened at school. Although the story was funny, as I glanced at her, her face was serious, almost frowning.

I asked her why she was looking so sad? Her reply was that was the way I was looking at her.

"Ouch"

I realized then that my children's faces are a mirror in which my own emotions are reflected. If I am living in the moment and giving my total attention to them, their joy will be reflected in my own expression, which in turn affects the light in their eyes. Listening, really listening, requires focusing on them in that moment, because much too soon, those moments end and they are gone.

That's why I thought of Lauren today when I saw this video on the LDS website. That's why I love my daughters, they are all so wonderful at living in the moment. They are wonderful people and work really hard at being there for their spouses, their children and each other.


...and the proof is in the puddin' (whatever that means), or in the smiling faces of my girls and their babes.


Here are pictures of my girls, being there, living in the moment...








I know you can't see Lauren's face in that picture, but you can see Lauren's reflection in Carlee's smile.


...sometimes the moment is very exciting...



...sometimes it is a little scary...



...sometimes it means getting your hands (and elbows) dirty...




...and sometimes it means holding onto them for dear life...





...no matter how or when, my girls are good at being there...

4 comments:

The Perks of Life! said...

Mom! I love this post. I somehow missed that you posted this. D started talking about this post on the phone and I'm glad she did because I love everything you said. Lately I feel like those moments of "living in the moment" have been too few. I sometimes get too caught up in the future and wishing or hoping for time to pass, that I forget to live in the moment. Like the whole babies thing, Caleb graduating, us finding a house, etc... I am so happy now and I need to enjoy the present so that when the future does come... I can look back and know that I lived in the moment and enjoyed every second of life, no matter what the stage of life may be. Thanks for sharing! And I love the video too!

The Perks of Life! said...

Wow did that make any sense?! I just re-read what I wrote. I am super tired but know that I love what you wrote. I agree 100% with living in the moment. Thanks for the reminder. Now only if I could see you more... those moments will be even better.

The Perks of Life! said...

Okay, sorry. Third time is a charm. One more thing. I looked at that picture again of all the girls and Bucco De Beppos, and I think we all look soooo happy. We all have a twinkle in our eyes. Those moments are definitely the moments I will treasure forever. Geeze I wish we could do that more. Someday, someday, just like your last post.

D said...

Yes, thank you so much for the reminder. There are times as a mother that I feel like all I have to look forward to is diaper changing, laundry and cleaning up messes, but it’s those moments in between all the chores that I needed a reminder to live for and live in.
A few months ago I was visiting you at your house with the kids, we had just had lunch and you were heading back to work and I was buckling Samantha in for the third time, you popped your head in the car and with a Smile on your face you said “enjoy being a mom today”. You told me that you loved me and that I was a good mother. You also taught me a very important lesson that day, that yes, being a mother is A LOT of diaper changing, A LOT of laundry and even more messes, but the diapers only last a few short years, The laundry can wait and if you’re going to make a mess why not make a mess of barbies, toy trucks and play-dough. And now when Samantha wants me to play with her or Cameron wants to be my snuggle bug I put the laundry basket down and I pick my babies up. That is truly the best advice any one has ever given me. You can get excited for Holidays and Family vacations, but those come and go so quickly. It’s those days in between the ones you look forward to with much anticipation and joy that make up a lifetime of either living in the moments or letting them pass by.