Sunday, July 10, 2011

It was toward the end...

...of last year that we found out my nephew, Seth, would be performing again with the drum and bugle corp, the Blue Knights, from Denver.



(If you didn't read this yesterday, go back and read it before continuing on, so that you will know the whole story.)


Grandma Great was excited and proud that he would be doing what she loved to watch him do, playing his trumpet.  However, there was the concern that with her deteriorating health she would find it difficult, if not impossible, to attend his performance.  I told her that she would be there.  I would see to it.  I just couldn't imagine life without her.  I couldn't think of us living without her.


...but it was not to be.


When she passed away in February I realized Seth's concert was one of the many things she would not be here to witness along with birthdays, two up and coming birth days, and holidays.  It was a sad reminder that what we had enjoyed with her would go on with out her.


As the time for this year's performance grew closer the anticipation also grew.  Our kids were excited to see their cousin and I couldn't wait to see my nephew.  This year they were performing at Ricce Eccles Stadium at the University of Utah, but they stayed at a jr. high in Bountiful, which meant I got to see him practice.  Thinking of Seth and knowing he would be missing grandma, I made him a big bowl of roast beef and mashed potatoes with gravy...


...because that's what she would have done.


That evening we were front and center in our seats, in my hands a big yellow sign proclaiming Seth as MY nephew and that he was OUR favorite Blue Knight.  On the drive down and then several times through the night comments were made about how much Grandma Great would have loved being there...


...her absence was obvious.


The next morning I drove to Weber State University to watch the corp practice before getting on the bus and heading out to Loveland, CO to perform the following day.  Eventually Lauren came to watch and then Aubrey.  We spent two hours just listening and watching the hard work it takes for them to compete with other corps from across the United States.


...and again I thought of her and how thrilled she would have been to see him.


Then the storm clouds gathered that afternoon, those of us watching moved up to the top of the stadium huddling together under the box seats to keep dry.  The wind blew, the rain came in torrents, but eventually the sun peeked through making the grass sparkle and the sky a beautiful blue.


...it was against that blue sky that we witnessed a tender mercy, a large yellow butterfly, hovering over us, the color of its wings glowing in the moist air.


Not a word was spoken, no one needed to say a thing...


...we just all knew she was there...watching with us...watching over Seth.


...yes, she was with us and we are ever grateful for Grandma Great and yellow butterflies.


(that's Seth in the black shorts with the nice looking tan)



Lauren loves her Seth...then again, everyone loves Seth.





...and to my mother, thanks for being there...love you more.

2 comments:

Shay said...

Great story, so happy you were able to see him, and La looks beautiful of course!

The Perks of Life! said...

I don't think a day has gone by where I'm not thinking about Grandma, and then a yellow butterfly appears out of nowhere. I'm so glad D pointed out what the yellow butterfly means. It happened again yesterday when I was having a hard time. I too am grateful for the tender mercy of the yellow butterfly. And I believe Grandma is the most happy and content she has ever been. It was fun to see Seth. I'd take Seth anyday, even if that just means having one cousin, over anyone else in the world. He's a great kid and it's been fun to see bits and pieces of him and see how he's matured, especially the muscles in his stomach region. ;)