Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's always fun...

...and a little tender to open the Christmas decoration boxes each year and find this little guy peering out from among the tinsel and red satin bows.






...isn't he a cutie????








Last night I hung our little clothespin Rudolph with his red pom-pom ear muffs in a place of prominence on our perfect pine between my red ceramic cowboy boots and a shiny gold ball with the nativity painted on it.


He's been there for years, in fact, he is older than some of our children.  He was a hand-made gift from Matthew's sister, Debbie. 


...and that's really what this post is about...



...Debbie...



...Matthew's little buddy...



She was the second Coil I met, Matthew being first.  Not long after Matthew and I started dating, he took me on a long weekend to visit his parents in Montana.  Since you have to go through ID to get to MT, we stopped at Debbie's home in ID Falls on our way through town.



If I didn't know for sure how I felt about Matthew before we arrived at her home, I certainly did after.  She sang his praises for the whole 2 hours we were visiting her.  There was no doubt that this little sister thought her big brother was the best. 


I remember laughing a lot, but mostly I remember feeling loved, instantly.  Debbie didn't need someone to prove themselves to her.  She didn't need me to be better or different than I really was...



...because she loved me, just as I really was.


She taught me it's OK to have scrambled eggs for supper and she taught me how to French braid my girl's hair.


...and Debbie taught me a lot about living and about how to keep living even while you are dying. 


Our little Rudolph always reminds me of her...


...how much I loved her and how much she loved Matthew.


I'll be thinking about her when I pack him away with the decorations this year and I'll think about her when I pull him out again next year.


...miss you Deb.

No comments: