Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Abigail and Kit

It is a tradition in our family that when our granddaughters are old enough to understand how to take care of something really special, Matthew and I buy them an American Girl doll. Abigail just had her 6th birthday and it was finally her turn to pick out her doll. Everytime I received a new catalog I would give it to her and she always said her favorite was "Kit". Kit looks so much like Abigail, right down to the little sprinkle of freckles on her cheeks, that I knew this would be a perfect match. We had a family birthday party at D. and Jake's on Conference Sunday and we gave Abbie her doll. It was love at first sight. There is something magical about a little girl and her favorite doll. They eat together, talk life over together, change clothes together, play house together, sleep together, and dream together. Abigail is one of the most sunshiny girls I have ever known. Her radiant, joyful spirit fills our family. She loves everyone and she knows how to show it. She comes running, arms wide open, to give me and Matthew a hug everytime we see her. I have always thought one of the most sacred gifts we can be given is the gift of joy. Abbie is the poster child for that gift. If you ask me what "joy" is, I will tell you to look at Abbie. She is a gift of joy to our family and we absolutely treasure her.


No comments: