Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Mighty Hunters

I took Preston and his good friend, Josh, elk hunting. Here they are discussing the trail in the snow.


They turned and asked if there might be elk tracks on the trail.


I told them they had better go check it out and I would watch for elk.
They found six dead trees across the stream, which was frozen, and they asked if they could climb on these trees. Preston named this place the jungle gym forest. They had such a grand time for an hour. I was just sitting and glassing the trees above them, where I have seen the elk moving many times at dusk.




Preston in the jungle gym forest.


The two mighty explorers.


More jungle gym.


They both found walking sticks and used these to break holes in the ice. The water was about three inches deep.




As we walked back to the jeep at dusk, Preston declared this to be the biggest jungle gym forest in the world. They want to come back. I think young minds are so creative. Preston named this the jungle gym forest all on his own. (Andy and Mike, does this make you think of gulch gate, rattlesnake road, cougar rock, two moose draw and the super bowl?) Now, when I suggest that we go to the jungle gym forest, Preston will always know exactly what I am talking about. We saw 8 eagles, many deer, lots of bucks, no elk, but there were elk tracks on the trail. I will be back at this trail at sunrise after the next big snow. Love you, Dad, Matthew & Grandpa!!

3 comments:

Chris and Aubrey said...

Thank you Dad for making such great memories for my kids. They love and enjoy the time they get to spend with you. We love you!
Aubs

Debbie said...

Hey Matt boy did that post take me back, Preston and his friend looks about the same age as Mike and Andy were when you took me hunting for the first time, maybe next year Sam and I can come down and go with you.
Hickmans

Coil Fam said...

I told you in a blog several weeks ago that i have the most amazing husband ever...and this has to be proof. MY HUSBAND BLOGGED!!!!!
I love my Matthew:)