Sunday, November 23, 2008

Out of the mouths of babes...


The Savior said we should be as little children, humble and submissive. Children truly come into this world perfect and without blemish. My grandchildren have taught me what it means to show our love to Jesus Christ through our actions and words.

Last Sunday, as Shay and I were driving to church with Porter, Carlee and Tessa May (Andy was at the E.R.), Shay put in a church CD with children's primary music on it. It is about a 15 minute drive to church from their house and Shay and I were talking quietly, the kids not so quietly, when I had one of the most precious experiences of the whole 11 day trip to OH. I didn't realize what was happening at first, but it quickly dawned on me that Porter was singing along with the CD. Here are the words:


If the Savior stood beside me,
Would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments
And try hard to be true?
Would I follow His example?
Would I live more righteously?
If I could see the Savior
standing nigh watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me,
Would I say the things I say?
Would my word be true and kind,
if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?
Would I speak more reverantly,
if I could see the Savior
standing nigh watching over me?

He is always near me,
though I do not see Him there.
And because He loves me dearly
I am in His watchful care.
So I'll be the kind of person
that I know I would like to be,
If I could see the Savior,
standing nigh...

watching over me.

I know that when I imagine the Savior standing next to me, I am a different person, kinder and more considerate of others. This song reminded me that my actions should always be in harmony with what God would have me do. A few hours after this experience, I was on the plane heading back to UT, but I left knowing Porter, Carlee and Tessa are being watched over by a loving Heavenly Father and earthly parents who will do whatever it takes to teach them about their Savior.

Thank you Porter for giving me that precious gift of joy on my last day.

1 comment:

Shay said...

I love that song and I often use it in lessons that I teach. When you really think about the savior standing by you, it changes everything, but it shouldn't. We should always be acting that way. I loved that moment in the van, it brought tears to my eyes, I will always remember it, thank you for writing about it.