Thursday, November 13, 2008

Mom- Our Kansas Girl!

I have fond memories of growing up and listening to my Sherrie Austin c.d. (She is the artist who sings Streets of Heaven.) She also sings a song titled "Singing to the Scarecrow." It's about a little girl who lives on a farm in Kentucky. This little girl is full of bliss and it's easy to tell she loves growing up on her farm. I loved listening to this song because it always made me think of Mom and it still does. Mom has such a love for Kansas and because of that, all of her children do to. It's so cool that my mom grew up on a farm! The words John Deer, Minneola, fire flys, prairie dogs, sunflowers, "the snake", Grandpa, and many more things represent many memories and good times which only one who's been to "the farm" can understand. I will never forget the one thing Grandpa wanted to be buried with... his dirt. His dirt from "the farm." I love thinking about the farm and all of the memories that flood my mind. Like having so many frogs to catch that they don't all even fit into one sour cream container. And I will never forget the first time dad showed me a fire fly. I also remember the time I about peed my pants because Grandpa snuck up behind D and I with his flashlight and said "Oh my gosh, don't move, the snake is right there!" Nor will we forget the trains that pass on the beautiful horizon, never to be heard. Oh the memories...

Mom is amazing. She created a home that was full of fun, laughter, peacefulness, happiness, hope, comfort and the list goes on forever. We love you mom.

Here are the words to that song.


Singing To The Scarecrow


I'm sure Mom has sung to the scarecrow more than once in her life. We love you!
Aubrey, Chris, Andy, Shay, Mike, Erin, Jake and D, what are your favorite memories from the farm?!

6 comments:

Chris and Aubrey said...

I miss going there in the summertime. I have such great memories and hope to be able to share them with my kids. Those days were probably the best vacations we went on. Wonderful memories with the ones you love.
Aubs

Coil Fam said...

Here I am crying, commenting on my own blog again, because my children are so amazing. Sometimes, after spending years of doing nothing but being a mom, I have wondered if I have made a difference. Then I hear one of my children say something that tells me their "hearts are turned to their fathers." Thank you sweet children of mine and God bless you for being such a blessing in my life. Love you more, mom

Shay said...

I love posts like that, thank you for that. There will never be teh perfect way to let Kay Lee what she has done for this family and the way that she holds us together. We love you!!

Coil Fam said...

I loved reading this today. I have great memories of that night that Lauren is remembering. It was June, so warm, a full moon was coming up in the East as the sun was setting. The trains on the horizon were amazing, the wheat fields were shimmering gold, ready to harvest. Everyone was enjoying the visit with Aunt Arlene. We had been riding the go-cart on the farm and just playing. Thanks everyone for the memories. Dad

Erin said...

I love hearing everyones stories of the farm. We had so much fun in Kansas when Kay Lee would come visit us and she took us to the farm. Thank you Kay Lee for the home and family you have created. It has blessed our lives so much.
Love you!!

Chris and Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.