Saturday, March 7, 2009

This is another post from Matthew. Today was the first real day of Spring. The neighborhood was alive with children. Aubrey and her four children came down for the day. Mid-afternoon, seven children in our back yard wanted to start a fire in the fire pit. They worked to clean it out and collect dead sticks from around the yard. Preston finally came and asked for some flint and steel. He had learned how to start a fire at cub country day camp last summer. I consented and gave him the tools. I was sure he would not get a fire started and that they were being safe. Abbie came in after a few minutes and asked for some gasoline. I said no.


I was in the house when I heard a big cheer from the back yard. I looked out the back window and Preston had a fire going, with just flint and steel and newspaper. I ran outside and immediately began to supervise.

Abbie asked for marshmellows, crackers and chocolate (she must have been the designated runner for the day, (PLEEEEEEASE Grampa, we need things). We made smores. Everyone had a long stick and we had a grand time.

Luke cooked his marmellow until it was charred black. He then asked for some chocolate and graham crackers. He then put the two together and started eating, as he handed me his stick with the charred marshmellow and said, "throw this over the fence, I just want to eat the chocolate and crackers."

Madison and Abbie had so much fun. Preston was so good to put marhsmellows on the sticks and keep everyone safe. We did not get a lot of yard work done, but we had our first roast of the spring. I also took the four kids to the Farmington Bay wildlife preserve about five miles from home. We saw four bald eagles and about 24 nesting canadian geese. It was a good day.

3 comments:

D said...

Mom and Dad I am so greatful that my children have such wonderful Granparents who love them and will let them just show up on a Saturday afternoon and let them just run, eat, smile and PLAY. Thansk for being so great with my two kids and for being so loving and kind to them. I know that Sammie loves the two of you very much, you can only hear it in her sweet voice when she comes walking through the door saying "Gama and Gampa".

Shay said...

That sounds like a great day. Matthew, you need to come here so you can a fire in Porter's back yard. Miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh, your posts are making me jealous! Wishin' my kiddos were a part of those 7 lucky ducks. Miss you.