Monday, December 15, 2008

Crown of thorns...

Peter wept, "bitterly"...


The past two weeks in seminary we have been studying Matthew 26. It contains the story of the last supper the Savior had with his apostles and how he instituted the sacrament ordinance. It was such a beautiful experience to study, pray and teach about this marvelous gift we have been given. I learned so much and will never take the sacrament for granted again.

Today in class we talked about the trials the Savior endured following the Garden of Gethsemane before he was actually crucified. When you take the time to read Matthew 26-27 slowly and carefully, you are shocked to see what he endured even after the garden experience.

We also talked about Judas and Peter betraying Christ, even after he had loved them and they had witnessed his miracles. Then we talked about Peter, following the betrayal, weeping bitterly and finally coming back to a greater love and knowledge of the Savior. Finally, the Savior appears to Peter and asks, "Lovest thou me?" Of course, Peter spent the rest of his life showing his love for the Savior.

ANYWAY...

Once a week I give my class a quote they can insert in their scriptures or write down on a note card to keep in their pocket (thanks Lala for this idea). It is called "a prophet in your pocket". So the quote I found for this week comes from April Conference, 1987, Neal Maxwell. I thought some of you might like hearing it again, especially the part about not complaining about our own life:

We can, therefore, actually do as Peter urged and cast our cares upon the Lord (see 1 Pet. 5:7); He is familiar with them, including even the feeling of being forsaken (see Mark 14:50, Mark 15:34). Nothing is beyond His redeeming reach or His encircling empathy. Therefore, we should not complain about our own life’s not being a rose garden when we remember who wore the crown of thorns!

3 comments:

Chris and Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chris and Aubrey said...

Today Abbie, Luke and I went to mom's for lunch. She showed us the viedeo and we talked about Jesus. Luke then turned to me and asked if they gave Jesus bandaids. The love a child has for another is amazing. Thanks Mom for the wonderful testimony you share with my children.
Aubs

Erin said...

I love the message and the quote. It's amazing how the savior can lift us up through our hard times when we let him. I am so grateful for my knowledge of his love for me personally and all of his children. Thank-you for the reminder.
Love,Erin