Thursday, July 1, 2010

My dad told me the story one day...






...about when he got off the train in Minneola after coming home from the war and walked to his grandmother's house to ask his Uncle Seth for a ride out to the farm. His uncle wasn't home. So my dad walked the 3 miles down the country road, then the half mile down the old, dusty lane to greet his mother.


I have thought of that moment off and on through the years as I have been blessed with the opportunity to see Chris come home or watched the evening news cover other homecomings, some with hugs and kisses of joy, others with flag draped coffins and tears of grief.

























It is a very emotional experience to see families reunite after being separated by war. It is a rather private moment occurring in a very public place. Business men, mothers with young babies and missionaries coming home to yellow balloons were all around us, life going on as usual, but it was as if we were alone, time frozen, watching this sweet family having a sacred experience as their eyes wandered, searching, then seeing and recognizing.


























Matthew and I didn't linger. This was their time. But nothing could have kept us away from witnessing such joy. I will forever be grateful for the opportunity to see these soldiers reunite. Chris, after fighting for the home front, Aubrey, after fighting on the home front, and their little troops cheering them on with smiles and hugs.










3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome, just awesome. Tears of happiness and gratitude are flowing. Thanks for sharing this sacred moment.

Emily said...

Thank you for sharing this wonderful moment. I am so happy that he is home safe and sound.

Jared and Lauren said...

Oh my gosh there are tears in my eyes! Such a cool experience!! I hope they are enjoying there 2 weeks with there dad home!