Friday, July 30, 2010

They were 14...

...when they got married.

Really...no, not really, but they do look SO young in this picture. Shay was such a gorgeous bride. It was a wonderful day and I will always cherish the memory of watching them kneel at the alter together. I also loved the quiet time Shay and I had in the dressing room when I helped her get ready for the ceremony. We both cried, because no one cries alone in our family.






When I think about what has happened since that day, 3 babies, 1 more on the way, moving to Maine, New York, Utah and Ohio, getting into medical school, graduating from medical school, starting residency, buying their first house, and on and on and on...I am amazed at how lucky I am to have Shay for a daughter-in-law. She is one of my best friends. We cry when we see each other, because we are so happy and we cry when I have to leave, because it breaks our hearts that we won't see each other for months and no one cries alone in our family.

Following Andy's graduation ceremony from medical school, we spent 2 wonderful days in the beach house in Maine. We ate lobster, built sand castles and flew kites as the waves crashed on the sandy beach. The day they packed the van, loaded the kids into car seats and pulled out of the driveway headed for OH, Matthew and I cried, because no one cries alone in our family.

I remember when Carlee was born and the day before I was to come back to UT we didn't hardly talk to each other, because we were already homesick for each other. There was a moment when I was sitting on the couch holding this cute little baby, all fresh from heaven, I looked up at Shay and we both started crying at the same time. It confirmed what I already knew, we were family and we loved each other.

I really don't like the phrase, "daughter-in-law", because it makes Shay and Erin sound different than my daughters, apart in some way. Yet, in my mind, they are just as much my daughters as Aubrey, D. and Lala.

I know I didn't watch them grow up, but I prayed for them when they were growing up and I know Heavenly Father was watching over them, protecting them and preparing them. They are both amazing. When they laugh, I laugh, when they cry, so do I, because no one cries alone in our family.

Shay's birthday was last week. It was one busy week for her. She had her first-ever booth at a craft fair and she is getting ready to deliver baby #4. She was on the phone with me everyday as we tried to figure out the best time for me to fly to OH. She was so patient with me as I mulled over the different dates.

In a few days, Carlee will get up and realize that this is the day I am coming. The count down is over, no more fingers to hold up. I will fly for hours and hours, get off the plane and hug everyone...

I am honored that she asked me to come for one of the biggest events to happen this year in our family, grandbaby #13. I know we will cry then too, jut like we did in the temple, because of the joy in our hearts.

...and Shay and I will cry, because that's what mothers and daughters do and because no one cries alone in our family.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I am so grateful for all of the times that I havn't had to cry alone too. That is the cuttest wedding picture ever, they do look so young! Happy birthday shay, I am so so so very excited for your new arival and can't wait to see (especially meet) this new little angel in our family!

The Perks of Life! said...

And now I'm crying! We are so lucky to have Shay in the family. I thought it was cute tonight that at dinner Mike prayed that Andy, Shay, and the kids would be safe while they're "gone". Our family doesn't feel complete without them here and we keep waiting for them to come back home! Happy birthday shay!!!

D said...

What a beautiful post for a beautiful sister, not sister-in-law, sister. I always tell my friends that I would claim Shay and Erin as my sisters before I would Mike and Andy as my brothers, because that is just what they are, my sisters and my best friends.
Happy Birthday Shay. One more summer, one more Birthday and we will then all be together again, or at least no further than a day’s drive away. I love you.