Thursday, July 29, 2010

Something special...





...about the firstborn. I know that I didn't really comprehend love until I held Aubrey in my arms minutes after she came into my life over 30 years ago. I thought I knew about love. I had been told by my family they loved me and I definitely loved Matthew, but it was when I held that tiny angel, smelling like heaven, her little fingers grasping my finger, counted her toes, held her so close I could feel her heart beat, touched her gossimer hair and then smelled her again, then I knew, really knew, about love. Love at first sight...











Thomas A. Kempis wrote, "Love alone lightens every burden, and makes rough places smooth. It bears every hardship as though it were nothing, and renders all bitterness sweet and acceptable."




It sums up my Aubrey. She got me through some really tough times. She taught me more than anything else in life could about forgiveness, understanding, compassion, selflessness, devotion and true charity.




When she was little she gave me a reason to be better than I was and forgave me when I wasn't. She taught me what it meant to be willing to lay down your life for someone else. She showed me how to listen to others and to the Spirit. She was an example of devotion to family.










...and she still is. Always putting family before herself.









She is brave and committed. Brave in facing life without Chris and committed to taking care of everyone's needs and even their wants.









She is definitely a team player and very often is the coach, organizing family get togethers, reminding us of what is important.




She is always willing. Willing to be there at a moments notice, willing to drive all the way home, just because I want to see her, willing to give of her time, talents and energy to all of us and to the Lord.



I cherish her.

3 comments:

Erin said...

I love everything you said! There is nothing that compares to a mothers love. Aubrey is just wonderful, I know if I ever need her she will be there for me in a moments notice, she would be there for any of us. I loved looking at all of those pictures, what a beautiful, happy little girl. Happy Birthday Aubs!

The Perks of Life! said...

I remember as a little girl I couldn't wait for the time in the afternoon when Aubrey's H.S. bus would drop her off at the top of the street. I often would walk up the street to meet her half way. We would spend time in the afternoons just us, because everyone else would still be at school. I felt like the luckiest girl ever to have Aub as my older sister. And I now know that I am the luckiest! Aubrey is such an example to me and like you said mom, she is the glue that keeps everyone together! Happpy birthday aub!

D said...

Happy Birthday Aubrey! I remember when you got engaged to Chris how sad I was that I was losing my big sister and my friend that I was just getting big enough to hang out with. Even though I was 11 when you got married, I still remember you treating me like I was one of your best friends and now that we are both married and both have children that 7 year age gap is no longer a gap, it’s just a number. I love you Aubrey and am so happy to have you in my life. Once again Happy, Happy Birthday, I love you!