Thursday, June 23, 2011

Comments...

...anyone?

I've been thinking about this for some time now (literally a long, long time, because I started this post in April and haven't quite had the desire to finish it, but it's still on my mind so here it is) and I guess I will try to write the different thoughts I have had and we'll see how this all ends up when I get through. 


First of all...

...a big "THANK YOU" to Matthew's niece Kathryn.  She recently commented on one of my posts about how she feels guilty for not commenting on my blog more often and I was like...

.... "Yeeesss", a comment!!! and you can see how SUPER CUTE Kathy is in her new glasses HERE and read about her so cute family of red heads(we are more than a little partial to red heads in our family).


...and her comment got me to thinking about comments in general and how I have posted a lot of my thoughts and not gotten any comments...

...and that's OK...really...

I mean I love the comments when they come, but I don't blog just to have my self-worth elevated by the attention that comes from putting myself out there and then finding out that people like me, REALLY like me.

...at least not now...

...but that hasn't always been the case.  When I first started blogging I was always checking for comments on my posts.  Heaven forbid I should post something and not have multiple comments within the first 24 hours...and if I didn't, I would start to question myself.   A couple of times I became desperate for the recognition and called one of the girls asking if they had read my post and if so why they hadn't commented yet?  I mean, seriously, isn't it a daughter's responsibility to comment on her mother's blog?

...and then I would start to question myself...was it the subject matter....did I not make it entertaining...did I offend...or maybe I used the wrong adverb in describing how horrible the smell was from the backseat.

...and then, over time, I became a "stogger"  or maybe it's a "blalkster", as in a blog stalker.

For example, I follow several blogs, including Kathryn's.  She does an awesome job writing about her life and her family.  It's fun!  She makes me laugh!

...and so I read her blog...

...but I am not good at commenting.

...and that can make me feel guilty.

There it is in black and white, I confess, I am a loyal follower to many, but a poor commenter to all.

...but I do want to thank those random few who occasionally take the time to give me pats on the back. 


.......................

I'll always remember the day I overheard Lala telling D. about a blog she read and how it made her cry and then D. said she had just read the latest update and she had cried too.

...and like all good 50 year old non-techie women, I asked...

"What is a blog"?

...then they showed me the "Nienie Dialogues" and I was hooked.

 ...and I just knew I had to give it a try.

So for the most part, my blog is about our family with a little bit of my personal thoughts sprinkled here and there and though I don't have thousands of people looking at my blog on a daily basis like Stephanie Nielsen does, I do like the thought that a few people enjoy sharing in our story.  I can tell by the counter on my page that people are looking.  I know most of them are family (Hello to Preston and Maddie) and a few close friends and a few people who I have no clue who they are and they are all welcome(unless any of them start to get weird and then I'm going private).

...occasionally I wonder what are all those people who are reading my story thinking? But mostly, I don't really care, because this story is for me, this moment, sitting in front of my keyboard, this word is mine, this phrase came to me, this thought is part of who I am...all of them, they are mine and I don't have to have comments to feel I have fulfilled a purpose in this post.


...and I love the thought that somewhere down the generational lines one of my great-grandchildren will take the time to look at a day in my life and find something good in it, something that will help them know they come from a sometimes over-the-top, over-reactive, OCD family...

...but also a family who loved each other beyond measure.

......................

...and now, back to why I started this post...

...COMMENTS, anyone...

I guess the comments are kind of like the cherry on top of a hot fudge sundae.  I eat a hot fudge sundae for the chocolate rush, not the cherry on top...

...but the cherry on top sure makes it pretty.

(as a side note, I called Christine last night to thank her for being an awesome sister and guess who answered the phone...Yep, Katherine...she's visiting her mom for 2 weeks...and we had a great time talking about the whole blog thing and how it's not what it used to be at the beginning, but how it's better now, because we are doing it for the right reason...comments or not)

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Wouldn't it be a shame if I didn't comment after my aunt making me famous! I so loved our visit the other day. THanks for the kind words and for all of the fun posts that I get to read and enjoy! Keep on blogging girl because. . . I am reading and occasionally commenting!!

Lindsey Ramage said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE YOU AUNT KAY! I wonder the same thing and because my blog is private I wonder if my family even reads it or sees the pictures and when they say how much they liked a kids halloween costume or activity we did I remind myself they are reading just not commenting. I will comment more. I read all, ALL of your posts! Speaking of reading who got pregnant 6 months ago and you said you would let them tell? I still don't know who you were talking about!