Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I felt so old...

...like a big girl, as I sat on the kitchen floor tying my shoes by myself for the first time, my dad overseeing the tangle of 4 year old fingers and worn laces.  Perhaps my first memory of me with Daddy, but certainly not the last experience with his gentle urging to learn something new.


There are moments I remember as if they were just yesterday...moments when I felt so old.  The first time I rode a 2 wheeler...the day I was big enough to turn the kitchen sink on without climbing onto the counter...shaving my legs(hate shaving, but my OCD'ness urges me to do it...daily)...driving to town alone...


...I was so old...


Funny how we mark time as a child, a new pair of shoes for the first day back to school, our first loose tooth, a prom date, and how we recognize the passage of years as an adult, the birth of our first grandchild, the death of our parents, an empty next, a quiet home.  For the most part, time does its own thing and we do ours, each of us taking care of life, but not really acknowledging one another often.


....then something like this sparks a memory...



...and I become aware of the passage of time...



...marked with pencil...


...on our garage wall...



...where the best ever Scout Master marked the heighth of his troopers...


...and little D. was there too, standing tall, stretching to look bigger, wanting to be so old...




...and then I looked outside at "Alice" roaming through Wonderland and realized Sam is the same age Dani was when we moved to Centerville.




...pulling Grandpa Great's little red tractor with a broom...



...content to just be a 4 year old in an old Halloween costume, eating black raspberry ice cream in a crunchy cone...



...hanging out with grandma while I painted the garage...




...and I realized there are definite blessings to getting old...


...even if I do have to shave my legs.

No comments: