Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I kept thinking...

...Debbie would love this.


...............................


To say it was a surprise to find Bonnie at my front door is an understatement.  It was one of those moments that everything stops and you have to take a deep breath to make sure this is really happening. 


It was Bonnie...on my doorstep...with her three adorable children...


...and I couldn't have been happier.


Bonnie has always been special, she reminds me of Andy, with her gutsy determination and level headed thinking, and of course, always ready to laugh.


...and I had a precious afternoon talking with her, hugging her three babes and reconnecting.


Bonnie's mother is Debbie, the one and only best buddy to Matthew during his childhood.  Debbie, Matthew's best friend, the one Matthew always felt a special connection to...


Matthew would have loved being there to open the door.  He would have loved looking in Bonnie's eyes and seeing a piece of Debbie.  When I heard her in the next room talking with Kenya I thought to myself .... "that could be Debbie", with her gentle tone, so sweet, so kind...so Debbie.  The way she tips her head and then glances up at you, the way she kneels as she talks to her children, all reminders of who we miss and how grateful we are to have a piece of Debbie living on, now in the next generation.


Even now, as I think about those precious minute we had together, I tear up a little to think how close I felt to Deb while Bonnie was here.  Oh, how I want these sweet children to know how wonderful their grandmother is...


...Xander loving life...what a giggler.

...and the girls, not bashful at all, Kenya, the mature, calm, peaceful one and Mara, wanting to try everything and follow her big sister.  I loved time with them, to talk with them and get to know them.  Kenya, the reader, Mara, looking like her mother at that age...I just wanted to squeeze them.





We had ice cream cones, played with the trains, jumped on the tramp, and hopscotched on the sidewalk...yes, Debbie would have loved every second of it.

....thank you, Bonnie, for the gift of your visit.

No comments: