Sunday, January 23, 2011

Do you know the significance of this last post dated Jan. 22?

This is Matthew and it is Sunday morning.  Do you realize that the previous post was written on Kaylee's birthday?  She spent much of that night sitting beside her mother watching over her and wondering if there was more that she should be doing?


Marie has been sick, very sick, so sick, that for the first time since they started, hospice came on Saturday and stayed a long time.

This is the 35th birthday that I have shared with Kaylee.  She had a busy day of buying her new counter tops from Francinni's granite, a grand experience that she can write about another day.  She bought a new kitchen sink, a 70/30 black granite composite that will look wonderful in her new kitchen.  She picked out her new paint for the kitchen, chocolate truffel, yes, really she is going to paint in chocolate colors in her kitchen, it will be wonderful.  She probably considered just using Hershey syrup, but paint is cheaper.  I took Kaylee to her favorite french cafe/bakery  for lunch, she ordered her usual cheese sandwich on pannini.  We then met Aubrey, Chris, Mike and Erin and Lauren and Caleb at the movie, True Grit.  As we drove home after a long and very busy day I asked Kaylee in the dark if she at any time during the day had not been thinking about her mother?  She answered so softly, "I am always thinking about her."  It is true.

Seven years ago Marie was visiting with us in Centerville.  She had been widowed for over a year.  She came for Thanksgiving, we agreed she would stay until Valentine's day.  It was Valentine week-end and we were sitting around the kitchen table.
I said, "well, Marie, I guess it is about time to take you home to Dodge City."
Marie started to cry.  I asked what was wrong, she said she did not want to leave, she wanted to stay with us.
"How long?" I asked.
"Until I die" she replied.
I said, without looking at Kaylee or discussing my answer with anyone, "Marie, you can stay with us until the day you die."
There, it was done, without knowing what was ahead I committed to care for my mother-in-law until the day she died.  That day is coming.

The past seven years have been far better than I could have ever scripted.  Four generations in one house has taught all of us sooo much.  I treasure most the times on the front porch, all of us in rocking chairs, listening to the birds trying to mimic my whistle, or watching the swing and whoever was in it.  The meals on the patio were great times, as were the meals in the dining room. 
I think we did it, we cared for Marie and at the same time she taught us all so much about ourselves, "Honor thy Father and thy Mother..."
Marie is better this morning, the hourly morphine seems to be dulling the headache and chest pain and dizzyness and shortness of breath.  Even though her voice is hoarse and raspy, weak and feeble, the words are still so clear.  She surprised us by getting out of bed and taking two steps to sit in her rocking chair.  She then told me "I can't go any farther, I am so weak." I know she meant she could not take the extra few steps to her little refrigerator or to the bathroom, but really she was thinking her life is about over and she cannot go much further.
Marie, it has been a great life, and a treat to care for you and be with you.  Hang on just a little longer, the birds will come back and we can sit on the front porch and laugh at the baby quail that are too small to hop over the curb.

Maybe Preston, Madison, Abigail, Luke, Emery, Amelia, Samantha, Cameron or Logan will do or say something funny and we will all laugh with you at how much we love being together.  Porter may Skype us and we can watch Carlee or Tessa or Marin entertain us.  Hang on Marie, Spring is coming.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You may try Nin Jiom Pei Pa Koa (ninjiom-hk.cwahi.net). i know a lot of people use it, its also non alcoholic, though it's effectiveness is not as good as alcohol based cough medicine, but it's still good to use on not so serious scratchy throat.

apprently ( according to the instruction) children from 2 to 12 can use it.