Tuesday, January 25, 2011

We are somewhere between...

...Madison and Porter's birthdays...




...and I'm grateful for the chance to blog about a happy thought(I'm afraid my blog has not been very cheery lately, so it's time to lighten the mood with some fun pictures of the cutest kids ever)...




...and here are two of them...




The day Porter was born, we were all thrilled, but Preston more than anyone else.  We finally had another boy in the family.  




I remember walking into the NICU at LDS hospital and the reverent experience it was to see this tiny little guy hooked up to some really scary looking machines.  I remember thinking how perfect he looked and that I just wanted to wrap him up and hold him as close to my heart as I could.  It doesn't matter how many grandchildren we have, the first time I hold one of them, there is magic.  Maybe magic isn't the right word...it's more like perfect love.  The kind of love that Jesus taught us about, the kind of love that makes us willing to give everything to protect this little baby.






His mom and dad were thrilled.  The first time I went to their apartment after Porter came home from the hospital, Andy was carrying him around on a pillow.  If the front door was left open too long, Andy would yell at us to shut it (well, that's not exactly true, because everyone was whispering...Andy didn't want him to hear loud noises, which can be a REALLY big problem in our family, especially when we all get together to celebrate something as exciting as a newborn baby).  But it was all fine with me, because I knew it just meant that I wasn't the only one that felt that "magic".  Andy and Shay were head over heels in love with this blue eyed wonder.  I knew that Porter would always be loved and protected...and that is true joy, to see my children loving their own children.




...Shay told me last week that Porter was making the girls squeal by teasing them and being a goof ball (love that word, because I remember referring to Porter's dad by the same term).  Shay finally, after getting tired of all the noise, asked Porter to CALM down.  Porter, with what I assume is a look much like the first picture below, said,  "But mom, I can't help it if I'm funny!"






No, Porter, you can't help being funny, and I love it...and I love you.













Madison is my birthday girl, born just one day before my birthday.  She was a gorgeous baby with tons of long dark hair.  The nursery nurses at Lakeview hospital had a fun time playing with her hair.  Every time they brought her back to her mom, she would have a new bow. 




She is my first granddaughter, which was really great, because the Coil girl's needed a baby to decorate.  Really, they wanted to decorate her...Lauren and D. loved to go shopping for her and then try the new outfits on her, one after another.  I know she never really wore everything we bought, but she did try them all on...well, actually D. and Lala tried everything on her.




Madison was a daddy's girl and I think it was hardest on her when Chris left for Iraq.  She sacrificed a lot for our country before she was even 3 years old.  She missed him, but she also showed us how much spunk she had.  She was determined to have fun even in spite of his absence. 




She's one determined little girl(sorry about that Maddie, I meant to say she's one determined young woman).  The world better watch out, because if she decides she's going to do something, it's going to happen.  I've seen her be tender and gentle with a newborn one minute and then laughing and chasing around her Uncle Jake the next.  They have a way of teasing each other that drives all of us crazy.




She's figuring out what life is all about, and the way I figure it, life is just a lot more fun with Madison in it.  




...I love you Madison and I love watching you become a beautiful young woman.









...so a BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my other two January grandbabies...


...love you to the moon and back...

...now, wasn't that a happy post?

No comments: