Monday, March 14, 2011

Dolls, guns...

...and lots of surprise.




For several weeks, long before I knew how seriously ill mother was, I had wondered how to keep her memory alive after she was gone.  Matthew and I have always tried to talk about family experiences that we feel are important for our children to remember, even at the risk of being told, "We've already heard that one, dad", knowing that time has a way of stealing away those important memories.




For example, the day we moved into our home in Aurora, CO, as we were setting up the bunk beds, Andy, who was playing underneath, suddenly jumped up and ran across the room.  Seconds later the top bed, heavy wood and mattress crashed down onto the lower bunk.


Andy yelled, "Did you hear that?"




"What," Matthew and I asked?








His reply has echoed for years through our family as we have told and retold the story.  "The voice," he said, "the voice that told me to move". 






The voice of the Holy Ghost had spoken loud and clear.  He had obeyed and been kept safe.




...so it was during my pondering of how to keep Grandma Great's memory alive for her young great-grandchildren that the Holy Ghost told me what I should do.  Buy each of the little girls an American Girl doll from Grandma Great and each of the boys a rifle or B-B gun from Grandpa Great.  Then instruct their parents to remind them of the loving great grandparents those gifts came from every time they play with them.  Proceeds from the family farm that my parents had worked so hard to care for paid for those gifts.  It is a fitting memorial to my mother, who loved dolls and her great-granddaughters, and to my dad, a WW II veteran and avid pheasant hunter.




I love the pictures of Amelia, peeking out to see what all the excitement was about, and Tessa May trying to help her be surprised.








These pictures will also be viewed by future generations and then they will hear the stories and mother and daddy will live on.


...they would be pleased.

2 comments:

Jared and Lauren said...

Those pictures are priceless!! What cute grandkids you have! They will always remember grandma great when they play with their awesome gifts!!

Unknown said...

The girls just love thier dolls. I loved walking in thier room the other night and seeing them both fast asleep with thier dolls tucked safely under their arms. I know they will always think of grandma great when they see their dolls. Thank-you for making sure all of the kids have such a special keepsake.