Monday, March 21, 2011

Lilacs in mason jars...

...filled my grandmother's home with spring every April in Kansas.  The wind through the window screens swished in filling the air with the fresh scent of spring like a princess enters the grand ballroom to take away everyone's breath with her beauty.




I love little girls dressed in lavender.  Mother did too.  She would have loved this scene.



(photo courtesy of Shana Whipple, check her out here at Shanawhipplephotography.com to see more of her amazing work and if you know where this picture was taken, comment or email me, because the first one that knows the answer will get something good from me...and you know what that means... the family is excluded from this contest and cannot participate, OK yes you can and a prize will be coming your way!!!)


At my grandmother's home I was allowed to pick as many lilacs as I wanted.  Then I would go down into the storm cellar and bring out blue tinged mason jars and stand the clipped limbs, dripping with the lavender blossoms, into the water filled glass.  The heavenly smell would fill every room, making one feel as if life itself had just begun in her picket fenced flower garden.  I think the Garden of Eden could not have had a sweeter bouquet.   In fact, when Eve was forced to leave the garden, I imagine one of the first things she did was to pick some flowers and place them where she could admire their beauty.




I noticed this week my Mother's Day lilac bush from the the first year we moved in is beginning to show some green buds....and the yellow forsythia will not be far behind.  


Tomorrow it will rain again...




...but today...




...today I am forcing Mother Nature to make herself at home.


2 comments:

Erin said...

Look at how big our family is!! I love that picture, and I absolutely love the lavender in it:)

Don Eric said...

Was the picture taken at the funeral home?

Don Eric