Thursday, March 3, 2011

Russon Mortuary...

...that's what I told Matthew's brother-in-law, Scott, when Matthew's sister, Susie, passed away.  Scott had already called another mortuary, but I told him Russon Mortuary was the best and he should go there.  He did.


Having served for a number of years as both ward and stake relief society president, I knew Russon's  Mortuary is the only one I would trust with my family, especially my mother.


...so I wasn't surprised when I called the mortuary and spoke with Scott Russon a few weeks ago that he was so gentle and concerned for me(and just in case you were wondering...his great-grandfather was from Kansas, we may even be related, probably not, but I'm always trying to connect with people on some level).  He wanted to do whatever I wanted him to do.  No coercing, no urging, but willing to suggest when asked.  He is experienced.  He is wise. 


...when Matthew and I met with him on Monday, he was very professional, but in a big brother sort of way.  He laughed with us.  He cried with us.


Through the years, as I would go home to Minneola, I would visit my daddy's grave.  A beautiful gray granite memorial with his name, birth date and death date engraved on the front.  We will have Mother's death date engraved under her name soon. 


My dad always said half a chocolate doughnut shared with someone you loved is twice as good as a whole doughnut eaten all alone.  I always take him a chocolate bar and leave it on his headstone.


I know my mother is no longer here.  She's in a new realm, paradise.  People say they don't believe we should mourn so much for them or be so attached to their mortal remains.  Someone mentioned that if I had real faith, there was no reason to be sad.  I have a little different feeling about it.  I mean, knowing my mother is no longer in her body, but her spirit has flown away does change how I view her body in the sense that it isn't her now.  However, when I think of her body, I can't help but remember her.


I haven't had the courage to go into her room yet.  To see her chair, empty, to see her glasses that she no longer needs, to touch her clothes that smell of her, her shelves and shelves of books that she held in her hands...it's just more than I can do right now, because the memories are so strong.


Andy and Shay are coming.  I have to go into her bathroom and get it organized.  Her toothbrush is hanging on the wall.  Her hairbrush is in the drawer.  Her pink bathrobe hangs on the back of the door.  Her perfume...well, it's just too hard today to get rid of the things that remind me of her...maybe tomorrow.


...so I never hesitated when I told Matthew he would have to call Russon Brother's Mortuary.  I knew they would treat her with the respect and love that she deserves.


In a few days the girls and I will go and put on her make-up and jewelry.  My sweet neighbor, Nickie, her hair stylist, wants to do her hair...she wants her own closure.  We will begin healing our hearts as we take care of her body....


...as we remember the hands, face, hair and beautiful smile that warmed our souls.


...as we honor her mortal remains.

No comments: