Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The words, Together Again...





...were the only things mother requested be in her obituary.




Like this...

(click on the link and then go to Marie Bush's obituary)



She told me shortly after daddy died that she read that phrase in an obituary in the Dodge Globe.  She missed him terribly and longed to be with him...together again.




...the nights are the worst, she once told me, when she would lie in bed, alone, listening, thinking, feeling his empty space next to her...crying.




...and now it's my turn to miss someone in the wee hours of the night.  I'm missing the hum of the oxygen machine.  I'm missing her light on at 2:00 AM, when she would read to try to put herself back to sleep.  I'm missing the thought that she is here, next door to our bedroom.




I went from taking care of our final child, Lauren, to taking care of my mother.  I'm not sure what I'll do next week when I no longer have to bring her lunch at noon, buy her bananas and doughnuts for breakfast, or hear her Tuesday morning recap of "The Bachelor".  I don't know how I'll survive when the scent of her perfume stops filling the air outside her bedroom door.




...and now I'm thinking the words, "Together Again", don't just refer to husband and wife...




...but also to mother and daughter...




...in the Lord's due time...




...together again.

No comments: