Sunday, March 13, 2011

We brought Grandma Great...

...home in her urn and set her in her room on the two week anniversary of her death.  It just seems like the right place for her to be until it's time to take her home to Kansas to be with daddy. 










There's something surreal about picking up a shoebox size urn knowing that all that is left of her is in a 7" X 10" wooden box.  It's beautiful, a dark cherry wood with a high gloss finish.  She would have loved it...




...but it's hard.




I was grateful Matthew went with me.  I didn't know how I would feel.  I think I was a little angry that she was gone.  I don't know why, just missing her I guess.




It has rained off and on today with rays of sun in between.  It is rather like my emotions, always changing. 




Her shoes are still in the corner in her room.  For some reason I just haven't been able to move them.  She was the one that put them there.  I want her to be the one to move them.  Silly, I know, but true nevertheless.






Each of the children who spoke at her service talked about how she was always dressed to the nines when she was going anywhere, even the golden arches always saw her looking fabulous.









I know she loved seeing the boys dressed in their suits and matching ties.  She always taught me to look my best knowing that I would feel better if I felt better about how I looked.  I know some people think that's worldly, but she was right.  They don't have to be expensive, but put on clean, pressed clothes and then put on a smile...




...then the people you meet will smile with you.  




She was right....



 

1 comment:

Shay said...

The urn looks nice, great choice for Grandma. The boys did look so amazing and the girls too, GG would have loved it so much. See you in KS.