Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Here's to fried chicken...

...with mashed potatoes, cream gravy and a side of wilted lettuce.




I just couldn't take it another minute...not one more meal.  Fast food, and sometimes even slow food, is not my favorite thing.  I think everyone occasionally likes to eat out, but several weeks of being forced to eat out means I had to force myself to eat.




I know I've mentioned it before, but it's my blog and I can repeat myself if I want to...




I remember sitting in my grandmother's kitchen many years ago.  She was just taking her iron skillet loaded to the brim with fried potatoes and onions off the fire, potatoes fried up in left-over bacon grease(I know, I know, that's terrible, but she lived to 99, so apparently it wasn't too unhealthy for her).  We talked for awhile about our favorite foods and she talked about how she got rather heavy while living out on the farm and having her own milk cow with fresh cream and butter everyday.  She talked about putting the butter in a dish and then leaving it in a trough where water from the windmill ran over it keeping the butter cool.




I sat there in her modern kitchen, looking at her nice refrigerator and stove and asked what her favorite modern appliance was...




...running water came her reply...




Running water?  I remember laughing and not fully understanding.




...but with all this remodeling and the kitchen being completely disabled, disemboweled, destroyed, I now understand what she was saying.




After months of not having a kitchen sink, last Friday Michael hooked up the water pipes to my new 10" deep, double bowl, black granite composite sink and I was finally back in business.  Back in the business of feeding my family really yummy, really unhealthy fried chicken with mashed potatoes and cream gravy and a side of wilted lettuce salad with bacon dressing.




...so here's to fried chicken...




...and running water.

No comments: