Saturday, February 26, 2011

Not a sound...





...nothing, just peace...




............




The morning had been a little difficult, her breathing was erratic, congested, labored, but by noon she had calmed down.  We had all been in and out during the day.  One of us would go in and talk to her, then another would come in and the first would leave, trying to give everyone their privacy.


Time to say goodbye.




Then Matthew suggested we give her a priesthood blessing, a simple prayer, to release her.


Send out a message to each of the children, even Andy...especially Andy, I told Matthew.  He's too far away...we need to bring him into this moment.




At 3:00 PM the children, who had left to take care of things in their own homes, and their spouses began arriving.   We met downstairs and talked, laughed and cried.  When it was time, the men gathered around her bed to lay their hands on her head.  I held her hand.




At 4:00 PM, Matthew, with his beautifully powerful voice gently commanded her to go and return to her heavenly home to be reunited with Carl and all the loved ones, who had gone before.




I left the room and the children each took a few minutes to say what they wanted.  I wandered from room to room, child to child, talking but not really communicating.  I lay on the living room floor and wrestled with grandbabies.




Eventually things calmed down and I went to be with her.  Her breathing was slow and gentle, calm.




I sat in her chair pretending to read, but nothing was taking my thoughts away from the miracle that was happening next to me.




At one point, I realized it was very quiet.  I looked over just as there was a slow rise and drop of her chest, a few seconds passed, then another breath...




I moved over into the chair next to her bed and held her hand...




...another breath...




It's OK mother...you can go now, I told her, trying to be brave, not wanting to cry and have her worry.




I promise, it's OK, you can go...daddy's waiting...go now...




...one more breath...




...and she left.




...5:02 PM...


...a moment I will treasure forever.



4 comments:

Emily said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your dear mother. I have felt your love for her and it has made me a better person. What a wonderful lady and what a loving daughter, what a grand legacy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May you find joy and peace at this time. Love you so much!

Anonymous said...

Kaylee,
Thank you...because this has meant so much to me to walk through something I missed with my grandparents because - like Andy - I am too far away. What a precious treasure you have (all) been to your mother in the last days of her Earthly journey. What a lucky lady to have a daughter like you. She does, indeed, have a grand legacy! My thoughts & prayers are with you all during this time. May your memories bring you joy & peace during this time & always.
Love,
Amy

Jared and Lauren said...

I have loved reading your entries of your moms journey! She is so lucky to have you as a daughter! Your mom was such an amazing women. I'm gald you were together as a family when it happened. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Love you!

Ash said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and testimony during this time in your life. I truly admire you and I know that your mom must have been just as amazing to be blessed with raising you. You and your family are in my prayers.
Love, Ashlyn