Saturday, February 26, 2011

My dear friend...







...Mary Kay was for a number of years an oncology nurse at LDS hospital.  She has been where I am.  She said a phrase yesterday that has been in my mind.  I'm so grateful for the thought she shared with me.




She talked about the miracle of death.




Now I have heard and written about the miracle of birth, but never really thought of death as a miracle.  But I'm beginning to see what she meant.  




Just as when I gave birth to my children, there was a reverence during that time that can never be put into words.  If you have been there to see a new life take that first breath, you know what I mean...a miracle.



...but now at the other end of life, when the body is confused with all the rapid changes...there is a calmness that surrounds her.  A calmness that infiltrates into my very soul.  Though I have a thousand questions and at times I just want to curl up next to her, hold her hand and go along for the ride...this is her time...this is her miracle.







She was there for my first breath...




...and I will be here for her last.



How blessed I am to witness her miracle.

1 comment:

Madison Joy said...

I think you are there for me. I will be there for your last breathe.
I love you always grandma (nana) :) :) :) :) :)
Love Madi