Saturday, February 12, 2011

I always knew I had cousins...





...when I was growing up, but I didn't really know my cousins when I was young.




It wasn't until I was 8 years old that we went to Phoenix to visit my Uncle Howard, my mother's brother, that I met his daughter Deanne.  It was then I became aware of just how different I was from my Covey relatives.  Deanne's house had an orange tree in front with oranges you could actually pick and squeeze.  I had a backyard full of wheat, in fact, I had a whole farm with wheat....and cattle, and tractors.  They spent their afternoons with groups of friends in the backyard pool.  I spent my afternoons alone, hiking in the shelter belt and hunting for rabbit's nests in the pasture.  A short drive from their house was a mall.  A long drive from my house was Razor's grocery store with 6 aisles partially stocked.




The first wedding I attended was for my cousin, Connie.  Her mother and my mother were sisters.  Connie grew up just a short drive from the California beach.  She loved the ocean.  It scared me to death.  I remember thinking she was the most beautiful woman I knew.  She had long, thick blond hair and she looked like an actual princess in her wedding dress.




All in all, I probably saw my cousins 5-6 times during my 18 year childhood.  I was always curious about them, but it wasn't until I saw my grandchildren playing with their cousins that I began to recognize what I missed out on.





...so when I went into my room tonight and saw 4 of my girls hanging out together I was just a little jealous...




...but mostly I was just happy for them and for me.




...happy for them that they have each other's friendships and happy for me that I get to see them loving each other.






Speaking of granddaughters...






this is what I'm making for Carlee...










...won't that be cute!!!!!

1 comment:

Erin said...

That picture is so cute, they are so lucky to have each other!